Broilers with stunted growth help?

GoofyNewt

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
I bought broilers along with my egg chickens just to see if the amount of time and feed was worth growing my own food. Well it's been about 4 months now and they look no bigger than a 4 week old broiler. I'm not sure what happened along the way that caused this but at this point I'm not sure what to do because I should have had them in the freezer 2 months ago.

what breed and where did you get them from?
If you didn't get them from a hatchery, but from someone who claims that they are hybrids, you got shortchanged..
some people think that if they hatche eggs from their cornish/X that they are getting the same chicken.. not so..
.........jiminwisc.....

Can you post some pictures, that does not sound like a broiler. Here is a picture of a Cornish cross vs a Cornish, both are at 11 weeks.

Here is a tiny Cornish Cross that I have kept on a diet because I am going to use him for cross breeding to other, smaller, chicken breeds. WLRC to the left for a comparison, both are at 11 weeks, WLRC has food 24/7, CX has food available 4 hours a day. CX still dwarfs the WLRC
37802444_1028480670661383_2793710053763317760_n.jpg

Here is another picture, the same WLRC compared to a CX that has food 12 hours a day ATM, and is in a chicken tractor. This CX is an average sized one, the biggest have already gone into the freezer.
37838819_1028480087328108_1702860258331852800_n.jpg

I don't think it is really possible to stunt their growth, if they have food available they will grow insanely fast, even if the food is limited.

what breed and where did you get them from?
If you didn't get them from a hatchery, but from someone who claims that they are hybrids, you got shortchanged..
some people think that if they hatche eggs from their cornish/X that they are getting the same chicken.. not so..
.........jiminwisc.....
I got them from Cackle Hatchery, so unless they lied(which I doubt) they should be Cornish X

Photos would be helpful along with telling us about what you have been feeding:)
It's too dark where I am but will definitely post pics tomorrow. I fed them chick starter until they were like 2 months then switched to chicken grain because the starter wasn't available at the time. Should I switch back to starter until my birds start laying?

Also forgot to mention that the meat chickens and only the meat chickens have a lack of feathers, but my other birds don't and they're housed together.

It's too dark where I am but will definitely post pics tomorrow. I fed them chick starter until they were like 2 months then switched to chicken grain because the starter wasn't available at the time. Should I switch back to starter until my birds start laying?
What is the chicken grain? Scratch?
Are you growing the Cornish Cross out for laying or are you going to process them for meat?

Either way, I would offer chick starter, flock raiser or a grower/finisher type feed. If giving only scratch grains, they are probably deficient in vitamins/minerals unless you have been supplementing with something else.

What is the chicken grain? Scratch?
Are you growing the Cornish Cross out for laying or are you going to process them for meat?

Either way, I would offer chick starter, flock raiser or a grower/finisher type feed. If giving only scratch grains, they are probably deficient in vitamins/minerals unless you have been supplementing with something else.
20180729_180356.jpg

Sorry for the late reply but I got busy. As you can see they are no bigger than my 2 month old Muscovy ducklings

Back
Top Bottom