Broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by amy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. amy

amy Hatching

Jan 21, 2007
    Can someone please tell me what I want to raise for my meat chickens: males or females??

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Crowing Premium Member

Both I think. I do the femails a bit early and they are the ones I part up, the peices are a nice size and the breasts are not so thick in the middle you have a time cooking them even. The boys I sometimes leave late and they are the ones I more likely leave whole for roasting. Personally I need more chicken in peices than whole so if I could I'd get more girls but often I just do the straight run.

3. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Okay another dumb question. Will these boiler hen, Cornish X, ever lay and has anyone tried raising their own boilers?[​IMG]

4. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Crowing Premium Member

They do not lay well, and most will not make it more than a year as they are genetic crosses that are bred to gain huge muscle without much else, so they go into heart failure. I had one cross off a cornish hen that only lasted 2 years too, so the first generation out is not much better.

5. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Thanks April, I suspected as much. Never thought about them having such a short life span, maybe that will make them easier to kill and dress for the freezer.

6. .

7. .

8. .

9. .

10. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by