1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broke a broody when I didn't want to!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mum, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Noticed my OEG was broody yesterday and I thought, great! But, her own egg isn't fertilised; so, at bedtime, I removed her from her nest and put her in the "Hospital/Broody" coop and slipped a couple of fertilised eggs under her.

WRONG! She has gone beserk!

Now, just how many threads are there about how to break a broody ... yet, when I want a broody, she snaps out of it!!??? [​IMG]

So, I'm now wondering ... how on earth can I seperate a broody from the main flock so she can hatch some eggs? (Without her snapping out of it?)

TIA

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I never believe a hen is truly broody until I see her spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead if in her favorite roosting spot. I've had some mess with my mind by pretending. But if she gives me two consecutive nights, I give her eggs.

Still, you may just have seen the biggest risk in trying to move a broody. They can break. If she is still acting up, you might let her go and see if she goes back to her old nest. She may not be broken yet.

I think your best odds are to make the new nest fairly dark. Dark seems to soothe them and bright light upset them. I even suggest making the new nest so you can lock her in there in darkness. Don't cook her or suffocate her in there, but keep it dark.

Move her at night with as little light and commotion as you can manage. Leave her locked in the nest the entire next day and let her out early the following morning. I don't think this is cruel because they are used to setting on the nest for long lengths of time when they are broody. If she still abandons this new nest, I'd give it up and accept that she won't be moved. There are some like that.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Thank for taking time to reply and for sharing your advice; much appreciated [​IMG]

4. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    My silkie is broody and sat in the nest for a few days before i gave her eggs to sit on.
    When i gave her the eggs i also moved her to the hospital/brooder coop, she did not like it and spent about 20 minutes pacing the fence to get back to the main coop, so i grabed her and put her in with her eggs and locked the coop.
    The next morning i opened the door but she stayed put on the eggs all day. Today she came out after lunch and did the same thing as the first day, running around by the fencing to the main coop so after about half an hour i put her back in her coop and shut the door, she is happily sat on her eggs again.
    I think when she comes out she gets upset to see the others and not be able to be with them as her little coop is the other side of the wire, i will just keep an eye on her and keep putting her back if needed.
    She seems perfectly fine once she is put back with her eggs.
    Good luck with yours.

5. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Ty, Marlene

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by