broke an egg inside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Hi, I went out this morning to let my girls out into their front run and found one of my red girls (2 years old) squatted on the bench, eyes closed, not responding. When I picked her up she did not respond. She was still alive but not looking good. Her feet and legs were freezing cold (-12 degrees C overnight) and almost contracted. I brought her in the greenhouse to warm her up and if need be, be with her while she died. I could not figure out what was wrong. She seemed fine yesterday. I remembered that she was standing on the perches last night instead of sitting.. figured she was just preening before I came in... Well... I looked her over and found yolk on her vent. I have had trouble with weak shells... girls don't like the oyster shells... I add crushed egg shells to their feed. I felt inside her vent with a lubricated glove. Felt the shell... I was able to get this out and a lot of what appeared to be yolk.... she is still alive... but looking poorly. Comb and waddles deep colored. Breathing steady. Eyes remain closed. I know typically you would give her a bath and wait for it to pass... I sorta jumped this step... should I just let her rest? Give her a bath now to help her rinse what is remaining? Any help would be appreciated.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks... I will let her rest for a couple hours and if she is still doing fair I will do the flush.... I have betadine as well.... I remember we used to do flushed at work (nurse) with betadine and water.... this might work too....

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That would work. I hope she improves.

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    poor soul.... she is at peace now. She was a great hen. Full of life and personality!! She will be missed. [​IMG]

6. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry she didn't make it. I know how it is, sometimes all of a sudden they show they are seriously sick, and there is nothing that can be done to save them. It is so sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by