1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broke down and bought them!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bryan8, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well I got a pair of white Perkins ducks!!! On male and one female! Will the female duck hatch out some baby ducks once they get older? How old till they lay, and how long untill he can do the deed?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Pekings usually don't hatch out their eggs.

3. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Really?

4. Double-T-Family-Farm

Double-T-Family-Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Midwest, Wisconsin
    First.. there called Pekin ducks. And yes some do set on there eggs.

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The broody trait has been bred out of a lot of ducks. Pekings, khaki campbells, runners, etc... normally don't hatch out their eggs. It CAN happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

No problem though. You can easily make an incubator out of an old cooler for about $25 [​IMG]

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:It's true - mine thinks she wants to set an egg every once in awhile, be she gets bored after a few hours or so and ditches her lovely little nest to go lounge in the pool.

If you want babies from your new pair, you'll need to incubate them artificially - which is actually lots of fun [​IMG]

Look for eggs next spring - and if you want them fertile, Pekins, being a large breed, will be able to mate more easily if you provide them with some water - buoyancy works in his favor while doing "the deed" [​IMG]

7. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Quote:My hatchery runner hatched out five babies. [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You never really know when one of them is going to have their maternal instincts kick in. Great if it happens, but if you are counting on babies, I would have an incubator on hand just in case [​IMG]

9. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Quote:Exactly! Magpie caught me by surprise; she wasted away to almost nothing, not going to let her do that again... [​IMG]

At least she got to be a mommy once! [​IMG]

Plus if you get an incubator you can further your addiction and buy chickens eggs, goose eggs etc etc...

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    What ducks will set on their eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by