Broke Eggs While Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MelissaBA, Aug 28, 2014.

1. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I dropped one of my eggs while candling on top of another one and busted both of them. Both had babies and I am so devastated....has anyone had this happen? I feel so stupid!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Yes I have done that before.

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I am day 4 into my incubation...I refuse to use my turner as I don't get very good hatches when using it so the last 3 hatches have just hand turned, this morning while turning I for the first time dropped an egg breaking it...thank goodness no other eggs were harmed but it still was heartbreaking...before I threw it away I checked, and yup. nice veining and little embryo [​IMG]

Its frustrating but we must go on and just be a lot more careful (and awake) when handling the others [​IMG]

4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I had the opposite happen... I was trying to candle an egg and it rolled of my light, I almost caught it mid-air and instead bounced it HIGHER off my palm and straight to the floor. I can still hear that sound...yeack...that thing didn't even bust a crack and the little guy is, to date, the most active of the eggers.
    Now I am paranoid that if a drop like that can't crack the egg then how on earth is a tiny little chick going to do it?
    I saw a YouTube video where this woman had an egg that looked like it was smashed, literally, 20 ways from Sunday and she had more wax on there than a Madam Tussauds figure! She showed it hatching in her Brinsea. So I guess you never know what trying might get ya.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've done that exact same thing...several times. Sure does make you feel terrible, but these things happen.

Sorry about the bad luck :hugs

6. MelissaBA

Jul 10, 2014
    I feel about 2 inches tall today...I do have another question....It made a mess in my incubator and I cleaned it out the best I could, do you think the other eggs should be ok?

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I also am guilty of breaking an egg while candling[​IMG].

What day of incubation are the eggs at?

8. MelissaBA

Jul 10, 2014
    Today is day 10. =(

9. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    You stated that you cleaned it the best you could, time will tell. Good luck. Please let us know. We will all cheer for chicks!!![​IMG]

10. MelissaBA

Jul 10, 2014
    Thanks for all replies...will let everyone know what happens at hatching time! =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by