Broke ground on our chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Canamer, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Canamer

Canamer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    Eastern NC (Grifton)
    So excited to have started our chicken coop. The whole family got in on the action yesterday. Got our posts in the ground and the frame. Flooring should be done on Thursday. Can hardly wait to get the chickens!
    .[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I can see that you are teaching your family members that there is more to life then video games. I'm sure the excitement will only escalate when you get chickens. Sure looks like you are planning a large coop. I can see that you do have the room. Do you know what type of chickens you want to raise?
    Keep us posted with progress reports and pictures. You never know if some here might give you some nifty ideas to make that fantastic coop even more fantastic.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. mo2872

mo2872 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    Wow, that's going to be nice sized!

1 person likes this.
  4. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Very nice! What are the dimensions?

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    looks great so far for sure! so nice to see the whole family get involved in doing the work. Great job. Keep us posted!

6. Canamer

Jan 15, 2015
    Eastern NC (Grifton)
    The coop is 12 X 12. We are going to put as completely fenced in run about 10 X 20', and then that and the coop will be in a large yard about 1/2 an acre. We not going to start with chicks at this point, but 5-6 month old hens that are about to lay - not sure what kind yet. Starting with about a dozen and going from there.

Have not decided on fence yet. Or breed of chickens, or inside design for sure!

Any suggestions would be great

Here is our progress after today. Kid's were at school, so no help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Canamer

Jan 15, 2015
    Eastern NC (Grifton)
    Oh, and we had figured our budget at about $1200. Well, we are almost there without the siding or shingles! So much for a budget.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bowleggedcowboy

Bowleggedcowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Fitzgerald, Georgia
    hey looks good so far.. Lumber isn't cheap. I did a 8by8 with 8by16 run and spent around 1300.00.

9. Canamer

Jan 15, 2015
    Eastern NC (Grifton)
    So we are sitting here deciding a few things on our design. What are the advantages of exterior egg boxes? I am assuming convenience and more room. Is it necessary for a coup this size, or should we just plan on interior boxes and going inside to collect the eggs?

10. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    if you're buying your lumber at one of the big box stores, ask them if they have a cull bin. this past weekend I went to Home Depot to pick up my wall framing 2x4's, and in the back of the lumber aisle they had a cart full of 2x4x16' painted purple on one end. These were the culls. mostly twisted, too much for most projects. I did a quick sketch on a scratch paper to see what I could use instead of buying regular ones in 8, 10 and 12 ft lengths. some quick math, I bought all 20 they had there for $51. Instead of spending over $130.....nice little savings

[​IMG]

Also, you can get them to cut your sheets of plywood or siding too if you take your dimensions. I had them cut all mine except for the doors, windows and gable ends, LOL I basically just took them off the truck and nailed them up! SWEEEET!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by