broke leg, now she's having trouble standin on other leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedfogsFlock, Jul 10, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We have a 6 month old RIR. Three weeks ago she come hobblin to me with a broken leg. So I built a sling and put her in it. Now here it is 3 weeks later and we noticed last night that she's now not standing on her other leg. The first leg is still paralyzed I guess because she still has no mobility & still can't clutch anything with it. Now her other good leg has developed a twitch. She just hangs there stretching out her good leg straight back like a nervouse twitch kicking it. Then that causes her to get twisted up, and she then flaps like crazy trying to turn back around. When she could just as easily put her foot/feet on the ground and turn around.

So I guess the question is ... is it time to cull? (oh & this is our 8 yr old sons chicken that's why we haven't yet.) So we would have to tell him something.

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. RedfogsFlock

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We had her that way for awhile, but sounds like it may be good to put her completely back up off both legs.?

4. Tangerine farmer

Tangerine farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Ventura CA
    I had 2 pullets die with something like a wierd paralysis. One leg straight in front, the other straight back.

I tried antibiotics of various classes to no avail. I hope you don't have this, but if you do... I couldn't fix it. One quietly died after lots of care, and I had to kill the other as she was getting hysterical and stopped eating. It was so sad. They were hand raised and happy little girls.

I have no idea what it is, and no one else on any sites seemed to know either. I thought it could be a mycoplasma thing and tried the expensive antibiotics from Switzerland.. no luck.

I wish you luck. I didn't try the sling.. I can see from your post it isn't working either.

5. RedfogsFlock

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Quote:That is so weird that you should say that! Because when we did let her down a few weeks ago for cleaning her legs did that. One straight out in front, & one straight back. She was like pushing herself along the floor with her good leg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by