1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broke my broody, how long until they start laying eggs again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarinMama, Oct 29, 2011.

1. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    So i had 2 broody EE and I broke them. They are no longer hanging out in the nest boxes and today they even went to the roost at night (last week they have been trying to sleep in nest boxes).

How long does it take for them to start laying again? I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

2. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a question....

I have a brooch right now that I need to break. How did you do it? I'm thinking of doing the wire cage thing....

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry I meant broody not brooch. Stupid iPod.

4. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    I just put them in a large dog cage with water feed them a bit every day and after about 3 days usually they go on ....if not i put them back in for more...it depends on other factors how soon they start laying again...do you have lights or just natural light...with decreasing daylight some of them this time of year wont start again till spring..some will..how many eggs were you getting? if she tends toward laying you might be lucky and she just starts back..

5. MarinMama

Apr 15, 2011
    i didn't have a wire cage and had 2 that were broody so i put bags of ice under them. at night they tried to sleep in nest boxes and i went out and put them on the roost BUT they kept on getting back down and going back into the boxes so I kicked them out of the coop and had them sleep in our VERY secure run (completely covered in hardware cloth, top, and dug under the run). I did this for 2 nights and they have been completely broken of being broody (for now..).

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I broke my silkie 2-3 weeks ago, and she began laying again just about a week later. However, she's a spring chicken, so I think that's why she bounced back so quickly. When my GLW went broody over a year ago, it took about a month after she broke before she started laying again, because her broody period sent her into a mini-molt afterwards (I guess due to poor nutrition during her broody period?). So it definitely varies. The shortening days may be a hindrance.

7. MarinMama

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote:good to know...these are spring chickens as well so hopefully they will bounce back quickly

8. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    My buff orpington is great, after I broke her brood it only took her 2-3 days to start back up laying.

9. MarinMama

Apr 15, 2011
    mother o' chicks72 :

My buff orpington is great, after I broke her brood it only took her 2-3 days to start back up laying.

ooh. thats great to know...hopefully it will only take these girls a few more days.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by