Broken beak and other "problems"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    So yesterday I got up to find my girl, Morgaine, had broken her beak. She seemed to be eating and drinking OK, but I didn't get home until after their bedtime so I didn't get to check her crop. This morning, she has one eye closed and is not as active as usual. She is closing her other eye as well sometimes as if she's going to sleep, but she's still standing. I can't get her to eat much of anything. I made her mash and put it in a deep bowl which doesn't seem to help. I gave her a couple pieces of bread but wouldn't eat anymore. I'm thinking of going to the store to try some yogurt. SHe also keeps clicking, for lack of a better description, her tongue and swallowing. I'm not sure if that's her beak or something else. I tried putting her in a carrier out in the coop so she'd be separate, but not alone and she seemed cold, she was tucking her head under her wing. So I brought her inside with me. She's currently sitting in my lap. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be wrong or what I can do? I can't leave her alone; she freaks out if she can't see me and I don't want her to get cold either.
    I'm a worrier and currently very worried about my baby!
    Thank you for any words of wisdom you might be able to pass on!

2. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Oh, I'm so sorry! I wish I had a suggestion. What a nightmare.

Could you take a picture and post it so someone with more experience can see the extent of the damage and give you some ideas?
    Poor girl. I'd try to get yogurt into her, and maybe mash a little hard boiled egg yolk into it. Also, if you have a health food store near by, Bach rescue remedy is awesome for animals that are under stress.....they make a formula without alcohol for pets.
    Keep her warm, try and get her to eat and drink and just make her as comfortable as you can. Hopefully if you can get a picture up someone will have a better idea of what tro do.
    Good luck with her..

3. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Oh and her open eye seems to be twitching a bit and the pupil is changing sizes without provocation from the light. Her level of alertness seems good.

4. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of her beak if you can see it OK and it comes thru...computer troubles. It doesn't look too bad, but her behavior is of concern. She didn't want yogurt, but I got some cottage cheese into her. No water consumption though.

5. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Ok so I don't know how to get the image to come thru. I did what the image posting thread said, so I don't know.

6. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I'm not an expert but I have had some experience with broken beaks.
    My Buff Orpington was about 6 months old when he stuck his beak through the hardware cloth and what a bloody mess. Where yours is broke at the end, his was completely broke off. He didn't react as yours is however. I do know that the beaks will grow back, but I'm not sure whats going on with her otherwise. She might just be traumatized by the whole experience. I would keep a close eye on her and perhaps if no one has any other ideas, call your local vet and see what they suggest. I had a RR that had a stroke and I had to give her water with a syringe, an eye dropper would work also. You need to keep her hydrated the best you can. Do you know how she broke it? The clacking she is doing is probably from the uncomfortableness of the broken beak.

8. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    I don't know how she did it; I didn't see it happen. I thought about giving her water with an eye dropper, but I was worried I drown her. That's probably silly, but I've heard it can happen. She been inside cuddling with me all day. Unfortunately, I have to go to work now and I'm not sure what to do with her tonight.

9. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Did your guy's beak heal up OK; I hear they grow back.

10. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I would try mixing a little bit of honey with the water. It may entice her to drink and give her a little more energy.
    To syringe water her- just try drizzling it on her beak line a bit at a time.

Hopefully she's just kind of traumatized and it's not neurological damage.

I would keep her warm, quiet and inside.....do you have a cat carrier, or dog crate? You might try to keep her in one of those....with food and water access of course.

Please keep us updated on how she holds up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by