broken beak on rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandarin1, Jun 8, 2016.

1. mandarin1

mandarin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    So tonight when I went to coop up my chickens I notice my rooster's beak has somehow broke. It is his upper mandible and it has the top layer split (the best way I can describe it is that it looks almost like a L with the top peeled up and the soft tissues on the bottom), but still attached (would be attached at the point of the L, I'll try to get pictures tomorrow when it's light outside). At this point I have only separated him, so that he does not get pecked on by the other birds, but I am unsure of what I should do for treatment. His nostrils look unaffected as far as I can tell, but it is extremely sensitive. I know I need to feed him soft food, I've read canned dog food, watering down pellets into a mush, baby food, mashed veggies, fruits, etc., but I just don't know what to do to help him heal or what to give him if anything, so he's not in as much pain, if I need to try and bandage the split part back down or let it be and let it possibly fall off, I have no idea, this is the first time this has ever happened with any of my birds. Any help or advice would be sooooo appreciated!!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Depending on how severe, it may be better to leave it be and see if it will fall off.
    You are on track with separating him and giving soft foods, make sure he stays hydrated that is very important with an injury.

Here is one that broke her beak a while back and the last update she was doing well after 6weeks. I know your situation is unique and your Rooster may have a more severe break, etc., so when you can, post some photos so we can take a look[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1080397/broken-beak

For pain you can give an aspirin solution.
    ASPIRIN SOLUTION
    Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.
    Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
    Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day. (http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  3. mandarin1

Jun 13, 2015
    Thank you so much for the response! Today I just let him free range and kept my hens in the coop and run so he would have the yard to himself and just watched him for a bit. The piece that had peeled up broke off and he continued to eat grass and other things he found and has been drinking just fine, I couldn't believe how tough he is considering how sensitive it must be! There is only a very small chip at the end of his beak that is missing (in addition to the piece that peeled up and broke off), so it's not much further back than his bottom mandible. I will continue to monitor him, keep him separated, keep him on soft foods in addition to whatever he wants to free range for and give him the aspirin solution. He amazingly has been acting as if nothing was wrong (a huge relief), [​IMG] I have had kind of a crazy day today, so I will try and get some pictures of him posted tomorrow. Thank you so much again for the information on the pain killer solution, I hate to think how painful that could be, so I'm so glad there's something they can have for a little relief!!!

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad he is doing so well!

Yes, I would love to see photos of him.[​IMG]

5. mandarin1

Jun 13, 2015
    I apologize the pics aren't the best, I had to wait for him to roost, so I could get him down to take the pictures and my phone does not have a flash, but I appreciate all willingness to help and the advice.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor fella.
    I think he should heal ok. I'm sure he will be sensitive for a little while.
    It sounds like you are taking good care of him, just watch him to make sure he is eating, you may want to try to weigh him and then do it again in another week or so, just to make sure he's not losing weight, etc. (Just a thought).

Please keep us updated, I do hope he continues to do well and I think he will with your TLC.[​IMG]

This is just an example of how resilient some chickens can be and with TLC their keepers are amazing, if you need encouragement here is a link that you might like - loooong thread so you can skip around. She was attacked, so the beak injury was severe (Post#1 - page 1) this was in 2014. Last update for 2016 is on page 46 (Post 454) there is a video.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  7. mandarin1

Jun 13, 2015
    I didn't think to weigh him, but that definitely is a good idea, so I will try that this evening when I am able to grab him off roost [​IMG] I've been keeping a close eye on him and he has been eating, drinking and going about his business as normal (minus the hens [​IMG]) I think he is adapting fine even though he is missing the tip of his beak and he has been having to learn how to eat without it. Thank you for the link to the discussion on the hen, it definitely has some interesting and inspiring reading! I feel so bad for her, but with how well her owner took care of her it looks like she is a happy girl! Thank you again!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by