Broken beak tip- any concerns about getting enough to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deacons, Oct 18, 2013.

1. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I was sitting outside today while the girls were free ranging, and noticed my Barred Rock hen was missing just the very tip of her beak. I'm not sure when it happened, but there was no blood, and no hanging piece (I quickly read a few blog posts about reattaching the broken tip). It looked clean-ish...again, no blood, but it was a little dirty given that they had been out foraging (in my herb garden when I caught them!! [​IMG] ).

I'm not sure when this happened, but right when I noticed it was broken, she was sitting on the step next to me, looking a little "off"- her comb/wattles, which are usually healthy and bright red, were a little dull and pinkish- she just sat quietly, eyes closed a little. I wonder if it had just happened and she was just in pain at the moment? A few minutes later, she scurried off and the color returned to her comb/wattles and she was happily eating again. Just feel bad for her if she was hurting...

From my very quick research, I saw that one of the possible concerns is that the chicken isn't able to eat correctly after the break. Any advice on how I can tell if she's eating enough to get the needed nutrition? I sprinkled some scratch out (since I knew she'd go for it!) and she did at least quickly mouth at the seeds, and I think she got them off the ground ok. I also saw her grazing on some grass. Anything I should be watching for?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If it is just the tip, she should have no problems. Just keep an eye on her to assure that she is indeed able to eat. If she appears to have problems, providing feed in a deep container or wetting the feed facilitates eating.

3. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Sourland, first, thanks for the welcome. I've been reading the Forum forever when little things like this come up and finally joined recently. Such a great resource. And, thanks for the reassurance. I haven't seen something like this before and do hope she'll be ok given it is just a tiny piece of the tip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by