Broken beak!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RAsChickens, Apr 22, 2017.

1. RAsChickens

RAsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday I noticed a small crack in my 9 week old Buff Orpington Skaye's beak. It was in the part with no blood vessels, about the bottom 1/4 inch of the beak. This morning when I went to let them out, I grabbed Skaye and checked her beak. The very tip of it, the part without blood vessels in it, looks like it's about to break off. I put some food in my hand and held it by her beak and she ate all of it. I haven't noticed the others pecking on it. Should I mess with it or let it heal by itself?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Since she's eating and it doesn't seem to be causing other issues I would leave it alone. If it does break off you may need to file it down but otherwise she should heal up on her own.

3. RAsChickens

I got back from some errands and went to check on her. The tip looked like it was about to break off. I carried her to the patio and called for my boyfriend. He grabbed our dog's nail clippers. I held Skaye's head still and he gripped the piece with the nail trimmers. Skaye pulled back by herself, and the piece was off! He then went and grabbed some food and poured some in my hand, and Skaye ate it all! I can tell she's not in pain because she is acting like her normal self! When we put her back in the run she got a drink.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Good to hear. It really is similar to a dog's nail so that doesn't surprise me. Sounds like the damage is minimal so it should just grow out on its own.

5. RAsChickens

Yes, I haven't noticed her being bullied or other chickens pecking it. Thanks for your help.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of the beak.

7. RAsChickens

[​IMG]

8. ChickenMama6RIR

ChickenMama6RIR Overrun With Chickens

Ouch!

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Damage extremely minor so corrective measures can be put off for a while. Damage not typical for what I am used to seeing yours looks almost disease related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by