Broken Beak

abbienelson__

Chirping
May 13, 2020
So we have this Cockerel and he was born with a squint beak which never bothered him we always checked if he was eating properly etc and he got on fine. We have just caught him fighting with one of our cockerels covered in blood and turns out he’s lost quite a bit of his beak.

He’s still able to eat and doesn’t seem in pain but is there anything we should do like keep it clean and how?

Attachments

• 2B7D4D49-4A62-4073-B308-F83886921F5F.jpeg
    2B7D4D49-4A62-4073-B308-F83886921F5F.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 8
He should be okay as only the tip has been lost. I would monitor to assure that he is eating and drinking. He and the other cockerel are likely to keep on fighting.

He should be okay as only the tip has been lost. I would monitor to assure that he is eating and drinking. He and the other cockerel are likely to keep on fighting.
Thank you it looks so much worse i think because his beak was already crooked !

Yeah we have removed him from the pen he was in with them for over a year and no fighting but all of a sudden it’s just started. Trying to keep them separate if not we will have to think of another solution..

Is there any possibility of free ranging them? Given more space to avoid one another, the fighting might lessen.

Is there any possibility of free ranging them? Given more space to avoid one another, the fighting might lessen.
They are! Sorry i just meant we have removed him out of the pen they go into at night. We have 108 free range chickens/ducks 😂

Back
Top Bottom