1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. michaelvcrowder

michaelvcrowder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2007
    gainesville georgia
    folk,
    i just noticed that chicken little's beak is broken. looks like the outer layer has separated from the inner layer. it is still attached but hinging just at the top center and looks like it could fall off at any minute. do i try to glue the outer shell back to the inner with some super glue or do i let it fall on off.

i seem to be more concerned about it than the chicken does but i would hate for an infection to set in. what is the best recourse? is this common?
    thanx,
    michael

2. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    No idea, but here is a bump.

3. Chicken Dave

Chicken Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Tyngsborough, MA
    i would just let it fall off

4. chanda

chanda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MS
    I had a quail chick that had its top beak pecked off by other chicks (brutal, huh?), and she did GREAT! You could see her tongue completely, but she ate and drank normally. Turned out she was a good mama, too! (My father-in-law saw her and HAD to have her! Last I heard, she was still doing great!) Her quality of life was excellent--she just was pretty in a different way! [​IMG]

*I* would separate it, if it's bleeding. Keep it separated til it heals so nothing will peck on it. Let it fall off. It should be fine. Definitely a conversation piece!

Chanda

5. chanda

chanda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MS
    How is the chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by