broken beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emvickrey, Sep 10, 2011.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My roo apparently thought he was going to be eaten or something today and kept runninig his face into the wire when my grandson was trying to catch him. We had to remove the chickens so we could move the coop. He bloddied his comb but thats will be fine. It's his beak. He's broken it. Well it looks more like it's chipped off and it's pretty thin. The top beak i'm talking about. It's still nearly as long as the bottom but it's pretty thin. I don't suppose he'll be trying to breed the hens. Will it grow back? It did bleed a little but not much. Kinda like if we got poked with a needle.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, beaks do grow back. They continue to grow thru out the life of the bird. If he is having difficulty eating, you might want to separate him and feed him soft foods for a while. Make sure none of the others pick on him if they see blood on his beak. He should be fine soon. [​IMG]

3. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    I read an interesting thing on beak repair a while back. If it's a piece they really need you can kind of build one up like a surfboard (fiber plus resin). good luck [​IMG]

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    The girls didn't peck at him. There wasn't but just a little blood and I think that mostly got on me. I kept wiping it off him when it would squeeze a drop out so the girls didn't peck at him. As long as it will grow back he'll be fine. It's late now but i'll watch him tomorrow to see if he's having any trouble eating. I'm sure he won't mind having some scrambled eggs or oatmeal.

Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by