1. PfeifferFeather

PfeifferFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Help needed, We have a little Golden Comet that appears to have broken her beak , I need advice, what is the Best Thing to do for Her? Should I try to hand feed her , or should I just put her down? That's why I asked , what's best for her! Thanks for your help!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Where is it broken and has it broken off or just cracked?

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If she lost the top part of her beak she should be able to adapt and learn how to eat. Many factory chickens have been 'debeaked' to prevent cannibalism and do well. However such a deformity may prevent her from protecting herself during altercations within the flock.

If her lower beak is broken off, then you will have more of a challenge. In this case feed her liquefied food and see how she does. Many chickens do adapt to these things and do well. I say give her a chance and see how she does.

Also you need to investigate why her beak has broken. Diet? Housing? Aggressive flockmates. Just a few things to think about.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. chick2flick

chick2flick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    We have a pullet that is missing the top of it's beak (adult chickens trying to kill it as a baby chick, those adults were later butchered). At first I had tried to give it soft food (chick starter mixed with yogurt and vitamins) with a baby medicine dropper and later as it grew just let it be. It's much smaller than it's sibling, but is still doing fine after 6 months.

5. PfeifferFeather

Jul 23, 2013
    I think that the beak is actually broken loose at the mandible joint , and I think that my rooster caused it . He's so big and rough ,and she so little , but I did not see it happen.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Well, if she's able to eat, give her chance and see what happens. If she can't eat soft food it would be best to put her down.

7. PfeifferFeather

Jul 23, 2013
    Thank You for your help. Sadly , I did, such a sweet little thing. But, if we are going to keep animals it is the way of things, I guess... Thanks for helping me do what needed to be done!

8. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    can you show a photo of her . I have used super glue on one of mine . It took about 6 to 8 weeks to grow back.

9. PfeifferFeather

Jul 23, 2013
    I put her down , after my daughter and I examined her carefully the mandible was actually broken in two , she could not eat , and was in obvious pain. but thanks for the suggestion.

10. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    So sorry,[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by