broken, black toe and nail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alexis&earl, Dec 1, 2007.

1. alexis&earl

alexis&earl New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    Elkton, Maryland
    Help! My rooster tried to attach my husband's boot and in the process broke his toe. Now his whole toe is turning black! What should we do???

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't really know how much you can do for a toe besides split it... but it is a rooster foot so that be hard to do.

3. alexis&earl

alexis&earl New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    Elkton, Maryland
    My husband thinks we should pull off the nail as it is hanging by a thread.... to me that seems extreme, but if the toe is turning black, perhaps it's best. Then we can douse it in alcohol or some other type of astringent. Thoughts?
    Thanks!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ah, if it is actually broken to the world, I would clean off his foot in some nice soapy water, and remove the dangling toe nail. Access the wound and make sure it is not bloody. Lightly cover with neosporin and keep clean.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Since it's turning "black", I'd leave it because it will fall off on it's own...

6. alexis&earl

alexis&earl New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    Elkton, Maryland
    Well, thank you all for your responses.... we decided to take off the nail, put an alcohol rub on it, and then saturate the wound with neosporin. We then covered it with a finger cot. When we checked on him this evening he was just standing under the heat lamp, the bad foot tucked under him the way hens do. I sure hope he gets better.
    Anyway, thanks for the help.

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG][​IMG]

i had to read this three times before i understood it was not the husbands toe. [​IMG]

the only reason i finally realized it was because you left your poor half amputated husband standing under a heat lamp. and i went.......that wasn't very nice. then.......oooooooooooooooooh. it's the rooster. oh.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  8. alexis&earl

alexis&earl New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    Elkton, Maryland
    Picklespickles..... you're so right! I was flustered and rambling, not making much sense.... we are new chicken-people and, well, I panicked. And please rest easy; My husband is now indoors and feeling fine [​IMG]
    (-you cracked me up!)

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

i'm glad you didn't take offense. i really was thinkign.........umm... a chicken board is probably not the best place to get medical advice for you husband. lol. but everyone was helping you, so i just figured i would keep my mouth shut. i can't stop laughing.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Pickles, I had the same problem.... was thinking 'wow, that's one powerful roo to break his toe through a boot!'

Then I read down and figured out that they meant the CHICKEN had a broken toe...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by