Broken Blood Feather.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tevyes Dad, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Saw some blood on Rhiannon, my WH, this morning after the ducks got out of the house. We took her in and bathed her then traced the "wound" to a broken blood feather. At the time of this picture, we had cleared away most of the blood clot in the feathers and put some triple-antibiotic ointment on it.

[​IMG]
    zoom in on color area for detail.

As you can see, the shaft that was left was very small. At first we thought it was stopped, but then we saw a small amount of blood still seeping, so I tried to pull the shaft slowly with a pair of pliers. The shaft broke still in place, and now it is so short that I can not get a grip on it without getting a bunch of skin. So we put a daub of liquid bandage on the end of the shaft and let it dry and for the moment, released her to the general population.

Is there anything I could have done different / can do now? Obviously we will keep a close eye on her for the next couple days. The original injury probably came from one of the following:

* The mad rush to get out the door in the morning: every morning 13 ducks try to exit a 1 duck door at the same time. Don't know what I can do about that.

* We have a crazy drake. He hasn't really been picking on her or focusing on her, so probably not, but it's a possibility.

* She's been pulling a bunch of feathers, maybe she got careless and pulled a new one.

There are two "normal" reasons she might be pulling feathers right now.

1. Nearly all my birds are just past 11 months. That means they were fully feathered last year around Mid-May and molted their "Teen" feathers and were fully in adult feathers in August. So they missed their fall molt and have been randomly molting through the winter.

2. We have had some warmer weather and this is everybody's first spring so they might all be looking at a little broody craziness.

For the record, she is a real trooper. Didn't even squirm while I clumsily tried to remove the shaft. [​IMG] She is so sweet and trusting, almost makes me forget I just spent nearly $300 on meal worms. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by