Broken Chicken Toe? (Picture)

Nov 22, 2022
East Bay Area, California :)
Hi All! I’ve been treating one of my hens for bumblefoot and suspected SLM. When I first examined her foot two weeks ago I noticed that the upper joint on her middle toe was thick and the toe appeared crooked. At the time I thought maybe it was the result of the bumblefoot, but now that it has been a couple weeks and I haven’t seen any improvement I’m not sure.

She can bend the toe, but I don’t think she has full movement, could she have injured it? I tried pinching the joint - she doesn’t flinch, it’s really hard, the skin does not appear red, hot or swollen.

Should I worry about it or just let it be? Anyone seen something like this before? Could it be infection from bumblefoot? Is it from slm? Maybe she broke her toe and it healed poorly? Let me know what you think, thank you!

Attachments

• 46992D31-6B27-4F48-B25D-DB50CCC9EAB3.jpeg
    46992D31-6B27-4F48-B25D-DB50CCC9EAB3.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 889E6E56-41FD-4371-B50B-10C4373D7400.jpeg
    889E6E56-41FD-4371-B50B-10C4373D7400.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 17
I don't think there is much you can do at this point to correct/straighten that toe. Make sure that the nails do not get too long,, that would cause toe to crack/form more in the sideway position. Be careful trimming the nails. Make sure you do not cut into the "QUICK" That would cause bleeding.
One of my Bantam hens, 3 years old, lost a number of toes due to breakage. The toes eventually fell off,, but hen is living, and walking just fine. She roosts on a flat area of the coop.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I don't think there is much you can do at this point to correct/straighten that toe. Make sure that the nails do not get too long,, that would cause toe to crack/form more in the sideway position. Be careful trimming the nails. Make sure you do not cut into the "QUICK" That would cause bleeding.
One of my Bantam hens, 3 years old, lost a number of toes due to breakage. The toes eventually fell off,, but hen is living, and walking just fine. She roosts on a flat area of the coop.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thanks for your help, always wish I can do something more, but I guess sometimes I can’t. Really appreciate the tip about keeping nails short, I will keep up with the trimming!

Back
Top Bottom