broken chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzychick, Aug 9, 2009.

1. suzychick

suzychick Hatching

Mar 24, 2009
    I have a RIR that was always trying to come out of the chicken run as I was coming in. Unfortunately on Friday evening when I was taking the girls their treats she did her usual thing. I shooed her back in but unfortunately as I was turned around closing the door behind me she reached across the threshold for something that caught her eye. I was not looking as I was shutting the door and didn't realize I was trying to close the door until I heard it.

She and I were both very shook up and my question has to do with the nature of her injury. She cannot stand up - she falls either forward on her face or backward and then over on her side. Her right side seems to be her weakness and I her wing doesn't appear to be broken and her leg seems to be okay. I Googled the anatomy of a chicken and found the femur bone with appears to be in the upper thigh/leg. Has anyone had any experiences such as this? If so - will this heal on it's on with some TLC? Also - Does anyone have any experience with chickens and veternarians?

I have her in a seperate box with all her ammenties in the barn close to the hen house so she can still hear the other chickens and I'm making her as comforatable as I can. She is alert and eats from my hand or makes her way over to the feeder. She doesn't appear to be in any pain while she is sitting or laying on her side. I just want to do the humane thing for her and am really struggling with this.

Thanks

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You might post the state where you are at. Other members may have suggestions for vet care in your area.

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Songster

Pray it is a concussion only and will resolve. Otherwise it may be permanent brain damage causing stroke like symptoms.
    Keep her seperated. If the rest of the flock detect any weakness in her they will turn on her and kill her for the overall safety of the flock.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I just nursed a hen through a broken pelvis, so I think you can probably get her through whatever is wrong, given it's not too severe.

Mine presented as though she had a broken leg, but the leg was fine, and yet she couldn't put weight on it and flopped around in a brutal way.

I had a very overstuffed dog bed for our small dog, and this became her bed for over a month while she healed.

The stress to her system shut down egg production immediately, so that wasn't a concern. Making sure she was in a very cushy spot so her keel didn't get bruised or sores was important, and getting in nutrition, albeit a diminished amount, due to her inactivity. Her poo was weird, since moving around keeps it regular and active- so she had runs, but was still healthy.

I gave her yogurt for added GI health, and regular food. She got avian vitamins in her water.

I did get all of our junk bath towels together, and every time she pooped, I'd take out the towel that was lining the dog bed and put a new one in. This was the most awful part for her, but moving her was attention, and she enjoyed being held and loved while ill. She lived in the house and slept in my closet- we just picked up the whole dog be and brought her wherever we were when we were home.

The initial confirmation came from our avian vet, who did an X-ray. I was there to put her down, as I thought it was not something she could recover from- I'm glad we made the effort. The stress of the injury caused distressed breathing that was raspy and wheezy and seemed as though she had a punctured lung for the first 2 days!

They will heal and bounce back- it took over a week before she even seemed like she wasn't dying.

Edited to add- She's back in the flock, roosting and running and collecting bugs- I did post about her injury back when it happened. I would guess it's been a couple of months. She has a mild limp now, but has recovered position of 2nd in command in a flock of 19!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  5. suzychick

suzychick Hatching

Mar 24, 2009
    Urban Chick Diva - Thanks for your reply. It gave me comfort and hope. I plan to contact a vet tomorrow. From the symptoms you described - flopping around in a brutal way and not putting weight on the leg - It sounds like that may be what I am dealing with.

Thanks so much.

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:You are so very welcome!

These little bugs sure can get into your heart, can't they? Here is a thread of avian vets who will see chickens- I am certain my vets would do consultation with a vet who was willing to see a chicken but not confident or who might want assistance. You can see my vets' names on this thread, too- just look for me!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=200108

I was definitely nurse to the bird, but Georgie is worth it, and we are glad to have her in our family.

PM me if you want- we all need support in a situation like this. [​IMG]

7. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Songster

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    Wow I am so happy to have access to Back Yard Chicken. I too have a chicken with a broken pelvis. Falls forward or back word couldnt stand up really at all. I was worried that this would go on for ever and in the end I would still have to put her down. But I am so glad to get hope from your past experience. Today she is actually just standing and going on her 3rd week. I am very glad there will be an end to this she is very sweet. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

8. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm delighted you found my posts, Mike!

Today, my Georgie is limping ever so slightly, but you wouldn't notice if you didn't know to look.

I hope the original poster has had equally good success- it's so hard to know what's wrong, and just as hard to know if they'll heal or not- so many factors!

To the OP- how is it going?

9. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    To the original poster- how is your bird doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: