Broken chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jon1163, May 7, 2011.

1. jon1163

jon1163 New Egg

May 7, 2011
    I have one rooster (rhode is. red) and three hens (light brahma, americana and a silky). I've had the Am., silky and red for about a year now and they are great. The Am. and silky lay everyday like clockwork. About four months ago I bought the Brahma as a pullet and she was accepted into the flock but still isn't laying. She is huge and runs around with the others but just wont lay eggs. Is it possible for a chicken to be broken?

2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    She may not be quite old enough yet. Give her another month or two.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Depends on the age of the pullet. Production bred chickens (Hatchery type stock) can start laying earlier than the Standard of their breed which is usually around 6 months.
    I have read of some Standard bred chickens that can take up to 8 or 9 months before laying their first egg.

Maybe someone that raises Brahmas can join in and let you know the average for their hens.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I've heard brahmas take alittle longer to mature. Give her some more time, it may take a while. I had a barred rock that took 10 months..

5. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    My Brahma hens took quite a while to begin laying - they mature slower. I'd give her some more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by