Broken chook legs anyone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sandstorm495, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Do any of your chooks have a broken leg? We didn't take our chook to the vet. You actually dont need to!! Our chook with the broken leg (martha) was so cute!! What we did was we out her in a doll pram with a baanket, so she could rest, and when we put the radio next to her and turned it on, she went to sleep listening to music!! Anyway she stayed there for two days and we were giving her seed and feeding her water in a syringe, and at the end of two days, she was fine!! She has a limp still of course, but the limp has gotten a lot better and she walks around completely fine. she can still scratch around and come down herself from her perch in the coop, and basically the only thing she cant do is land from a high place like our cubby house. what do you think about the method we used?[​IMG]

2. I guess it would depend on how bad it was...........I had a 3 day old chick that tried to run through chicken wire and ended up breaking her leg once. I couldn't catch her, so I just let her stay with her mom and siblings in a chicken tractor. She healed up fine within a a week and is totally normal and healthy now (a little runty, but her mama was tiny too). I think as long is it's not like a really bad break, they would be okay. But I think it also depends on what the owner thinks they are able to deal with and their assessment of the situation.

~~Ms. B

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by