Broken Collar Bone

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muscovy94, Jan 2, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone I Broke my collar bone at a new years eve party and would likke to know if anyone here has broken theirs. and if they have, how long they had to wear the sling and their recovery time.

thanks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't take the sling of. Sleep on the opposite side. Say your prayers. It will take over a month.... and it almost NEVER heals end to end unless they do surgery.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    fractured it long time ago. I went over, well into the jump. Horse didnt .

Funny but I still know where the break was. I can "feel" it

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    It hurts! I was in the figure 8 harness for 6 weeks, mine still aches when the weather changes! My brother broke his too, he was jumped on while playing the kid jumped on him from a picnic table, ouch! He was in the harness for almost 8 weeks.
    I hope you feel better soon
    Brenda

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It can take a month or more without surgery. Hang in there!

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I broke mine in three places about ten years ago being stupid. (I was training my german shepherd mix; had him on a 20 ft. lead. Called him to me and knelt down to praise him for coming instantly. Then I said: "Ok, go on!" He did... note to self -- NEVER wrap the lead around your hand! He hit the end of the lead at a dead run and I did some sort of somersault across the asphalt and ended up in the ditch. You should have seen the bruise/hamburger on my thigh... it took a full year for the bruise to disappear.. that was more painful than the broken collar bone.)

I had to wear the sling for eight weeks. On day three one of my sons asked me if the eight weeks was up yet because he was tired of doing so many house chores! [​IMG]

I, too, feel it when the weather changes, it aches.

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I broke my right one in 3 places about 8 years ago. I had an awful time and had to learn to use my left hand.
    Had I known then what I know now I would have had surgery, mine is crooked and aches now and then, I can't sling a purse on that shoulder (it falls off) and I have a big dent where the bones healed back crooked.
    Get a good orthopedic doctor to monitor your healing (mine was not good)
    Above all do not take the figure 8 of too soon or use your arm to soon.

8. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:Eight weeks! I thought i could take this dang sling off in about a week!

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

fractured it long time ago. I went over, well into the jump. Horse didnt .

Funny but I still know where the break was. I can "feel" it

I did a very similar thing on a horse and broke mine. I was in a sling for 6 weeks. I was about 10 years old, am now 37 and it's never been 100% since.​

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    muscovy94 said:
    Eight weeks! I thought i could take this dang sling off in about a week!

You need to go by what your doctor says. I broke mine in three places so I'm sure that made a difference in how long I had to wear the sling.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by