Broken/Dislocated - swollen joint

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tahlias, Jan 13, 2014.

1. tahlias

tahlias Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Hi everyone

I have trawled the forums but I can't find anything that really directly relates to my situation so sorry if this is a bit repetative.

A few weeks ago, maybe a month or so ago I went out to the chicken coop and saw a whole bunch of feathers, no blood, no flesh but noticed one of my Isa's was limping quite badly. I presume attacked by a cat or something.

She stopped laying, but we left her be as she could still move around without putting any weight on her leg and the others didnt seem to be harrassing her.

After a couple of weeks she seemed to regain the use of her leg, with a limp but she could put weight on it. Then she started laying again and now can't put weight back on the leg again. Her foot seems fine its just so sore for her she can't put weight on it. Just makes me sad seeing her hobbling around.

I've had a bit of a feel and I think its her "ankle" joint that is quite swollen. To look at she looks fine, its not bent in a funny way or anything.

I've had a bad experience before separating a chook to get her better and putting her back and she was attached until she was nearly pecked to death. But I'm wondering if I should just leave her be as she seems fine, or if I should separate her, get the leg better and then put her back with the others? Or is there anything I could do for her? Maybe some pain killers?

I've attached a pic of where i think the problem is. Its the joint where the scaley bit meets the feathery bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can give chickens half of a baby asprin two times a day for pain and swelling. You might also try separating her and using an infra-red heat lamp on her like a therapy session. Maybe for one hour a day. Infra-red is a very healing light. It is used in Europe in the suanas for arthritis patients as it very penetrating, getting to the swelling of the joints. And they say it helps with this condition. You might also offer up Apple Cider Vinegar as it also has inflammation reducing qualities.

If she were my bird, I would also separate her for a while to see how she heals. A quiet place on her own. I would do the above things for her and if I really wanted to save her, I might even take her to an avian vet for an xray just to see if it is possible for her to heal.

Have you posted in the emergency section here on BYC for some other ideas?

I wish I had more info for you. Good luck with your bird. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    I agree to separate, chickens can be really cruel to the weaker. If not separate keep a close eye on her. Can you get pictures? Really need to see what joint for sure and how it rests to be able to give accurate advice. Could be crushed, dislocated or a break that healed then became infected later...or somethin even simpler but need to see it. I would give her the asprin for pain and swelling. I would add vitmins & electrolytes to her water and feed her 3 cups of oats or a treat stirred together in a mix with 2 tablespoons honey and a tablespoon of garlic. A lil bit of water if its a solid mass and not a mash like food. But I would have her seperated to do this even if its her in a dogcrate inside the coop still. Then she won't compete to get the natural antibiotic mash or water and can have time to rest the lame leg.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hen.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I also recommend posting in the Emergencies section, good luck to you.

8. tahlias

tahlias Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will definitely read up on those posts you suggested. I'll also put up a few photos if I can get some clear ones of her. I'll also try the pain killers and special diet for her and see how she fares. Photos to come.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The apple cider vinegar is mixed 2 tablespoons per gallon of water changed and made new daily.

Good luck with your bird. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by