broken egg at 18 days incubation under broody!

LaSombra

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Washington
I have a broody on her 2nd clutch. She's 18 days into it (they're due on Tuesday).

When I went to turn in my birds for the night, I looked over at her nest and two eggs had been pushed out. I'm assuming by another hen. I checked them and one was broken on one side. The membrane is still intact and the shell is still on it, just broken. Momma was off the nest when I found her, probably getting a snack or water.

So, I candled the egg to see if baby was still OK and it's still moving in there. I went ahead and put the egg back in the nest with the rest because I really can't think of anything better to do with it. It would be on lockdown right now if I had an incubator. It needs to stay warm and not get dried out so momma seems like the best option to me. I did surround it by the other eggs to maybe keep some of her weight off of it...

Anyone have any better ideas or any advice on what I should do? I hope the little chick comes out OK!
sad.png
6 weeks of brooding and nothing like this has ever happened. I wonder who pushed them out
hu.gif

I had a broken one in my incubator and someone suggested to me that I seal the crack with a little wax. I lit a candle and let the melted wax drip onto the crack, then spread a thin layer to cover it. My egg turned out to be a quitter anyway, but it might work for yours.

well, went out there to let them out of the coop and that egg was smashed, pieces of shell stuck to a perfect little black baby chick. Poor thing. I just don't know what else I'd have done. I don't have an incubator so it would have probably dried and shrink-wrapped the poor thing. I'm guessing I should probably wash off the other eggs where some yolk broke onto them? Or is scraping them off good enough?

Well Im sorry to hear the egg didn't make it, that really sucks.
sad.png
No idea what else you could have done, I think you were pretty much helpless unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom