Broken egg...HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jerry09, May 29, 2008.

1. Jerry09

Jerry09 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    my hen was incubating ONE egg (sounds cruel doesn't it) and her nest box was nocked down....the egg fractured but it was in the air bubble section of the egg so the membrane protecting the chick is intact.... I was wondering if the egg is on its second week, is it possible that it may hatch if its shell is broken?....they chick is alive because i detected movement....should i tape it up?...lol....oh boy..i hope its not another humpty dumpty...[​IMG]

2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I would put a bandaid on it. I'm not a professional egg patcher yet, but I like to use the nexcare waterproof bandaids-- the smallest one that will cover the crack. I've heard someone else say that they use sensitive skin bandaids. Good luck!

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It might hatch if you put a small piece of tape over the hole. Really. We've hatched a couple that way before.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can use birthday candle wax and melt a little and seal the crack in the egg over with it.

5. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I would drip wax on to it to seal it up, I have heard this has worked for several people on BYC

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    patching has not worked for me. I have tried patching 4eggs at different times and the broody still managed break them all. I know many people have done it before though. I say use the candle wax. GOOD LUCK!!

7. pearsjd

pearsjd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    N. Central AL
    We've has very good results with spray-on bandage. I have Curad brand but there are others. It comes in a small spray bottle. Just one squirt seems to protect the crack.

Susan

8. Jerry09

Jerry09 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    thanks you guys have been so helpful...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by