Broken egg/How long 'till she feels better?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by candycar, Jan 3, 2014.

1. candycar

candycar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Catlettsburg KY
    My little silkie mix hen had a soft shell egg break inside her early morning 2 Jan. She seemed fine when I let her out in the morn, but a little later she wasn't acting right. That's when I brought her in the house. I noticed the broken egg in the nest and all over her underside. I gave her a warm bath and cleaned her up, even pulled some more soft shell from her vent. She has been pooping, white w/ some solid.
    I did search this forum and gave vinegar douche today. (Large dropper 4-5 times) She expelled most of that with yellow yolk as soon as I put her back in the cage. I gave her some scrambled egg and she ate with gusto.
    She still is acting sad, reluctant to move, wings hanging a little and very quiet. I haven't probed her vent yet to see if there is more eggshell stuck. Should I do that or more douche? Any thing else I can try?
    Mostly I'm wondering how long it usually takes for them to feel better after this kind of episode.
    I would take her to the vet , but our "exotic" vet won't be back in 'till Monday + she's 45 miles away and I'm broke!
    Thanks!

2. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I had a BR last summer with a broken soft shell egg trapped in, I did the warm bath without much luck and then decided to feel in her vent and took all of it out, after that she was subdued for most of the day but after about 6 hours she was perking up, by the next day she was herself. I do know that if there is yolk or shell retained they can get egg yolk peritonitis, I was fortunate with mine-hope your hen feels better soon.

3. gibsterl

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I guess I would probe her vent and see if there is any left-

4. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Could probing around there make matters worse? After I gave mine a warm bath she seems OK in that respect. She, however was recovering from a bad dog attack. Best wishes.

5. gibsterl

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    If it there is a soft shell egg that is unbroken you want to be careful not to break it to remove it, but if it is already broken getting all the contents out is important to avoid peritonitis.

6. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Candycar-how about a update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by