Broken egg in my Red Star?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandflynn, Nov 5, 2010.

1. dandflynn

dandflynn New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    I am looking for some advice with my Red Star. Recently (last 3 days) she looked a little puffy and I noticed her "feet" looked a little red and irritated along with some diarrhea. She seemed to still be laying but now I am questioning that. Today she has clear liquid oozing from her bottom along with very messy, white stool. She is missing some breast feathers but not like regular plucking because it is red and looks irritated. I would take her into someone but it has been our experience that the vets know nothing of chickens in our town. I am suspicious of an egg broken in her but have not seen it before.

2. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    Give her a nice warm bath for about 30 minutes. That should help. See if you can gently get the shell out. Maybe some antibiotics. I'm still a newbie myself but google eggbound. You will find what you are looking for. Goodluck with your hen. Hope she gets better.[​IMG]

3. dandflynn

dandflynn New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    Thank you, that looks like it might be the problem-wish us luck!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine had a smooshed leathery egg in her. I soaked her for about a half hour rewarming the water as needed. I dried her off good and put her back on the roost. I put paper towels down (my roost is actually more of a shelf) and by morning she had finally expelled it. Good luck.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by