broken egg in nest all over the other eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by danamillette, May 12, 2010.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Good morning!
    One of my girls went broody about 4 days ago and she wouldn't let me NEAR her or her 10 or so infertile eggs. So today I look outside and she is out there, so i sprinted to the next box to retrieve the eggs to find one broke and the yolk is all over the rest of the eggs.
    First question: Do I toss them?
    Second question: Even if there hadn't been yolk on them, would I toss them because she has kept them warm for 4 days?
    Thanks!
    Dana

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

If they are not fertile, why is she setting? Goofy chicken. Do you have plans to switch them to fertile ones or add day-olds? If not I would empty the nest and at night set her on the roost with her buddies (may take a couple nights) and she may get over her broodiness.

3. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well, I have one Roo...and he is a bantam the girls are standard. I guess I shouldn't assume anything, but I have never seen him do the deed....
    Would you toss or wash and eat the dirty eggs?
    Thanks!
    Dana

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Wash and eat the eggs, then go to your local farm store, buy chicks and say "Wow, guess they were fertile!"

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by