Broken egg inside hen!! HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakrzz, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Okay, so as I said in my other post, my hen is not feeling very well. She is certain puffy and not eating much. After extended amounts of research on backyard chickens and Dave's pet chicken blog, I've come to the conclusion that an egg has broken in her. I've have not seen her poop today, and anything that does come out is small amounts of urates.

I found on the Internet that this is caused by a broken egg in the vent.

I also found a way to help get the egg out of the chicken and bring her back to health. So I did as I read: I put her in a bath of warm-hot water to relax the muscles for 20 minutes or so. Then I lubed up a gloved finger and put it up the egg duct of my hen to try and see if there were any cracked egg shells and what not. Surprisingly, the hen was very cooperative. As I went into the duct, I felt something very similar to an egg shape... So I circled my finger around it a bit and basically tried to get it out, but it just wouldn't budge?.. It just felt like something else...so I just kind of
    Took my finger out for fear of damaging something!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
    I want to get that egg out!
    ...or could it be something else!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You may have to do the warm baths several times. Also, I read somewhere that giving calcium helps them pass the egg, so that's what I do with mine. Have you seen these links?
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html
    http://www.avianweb.com/Prolapse.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How's your hen?

4. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Sort it took so long to respond! But thanks for asking! After continuously giving her warm baths and massages, I contemplated a different problem with her: CONSTIPATION. And so I went and got some prune juice, gave her a few sips and within the hour, she had done her business! And boy was there a MESS. By the next day she was back to her normal self, and by the next week,
    I was getting an egg a day from her!! So shes all good now [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's great! I'll have to remember that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by