Broken egg(or something) caused setting hen to abandon nest- help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abbachick, Feb 12, 2009.

1. abbachick

abbachick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Wilson, North Carolina
    My hen abandoned her nest tonight and I found signs of a broken egg in the nest, possibly rotten. The eggs should be close to hatching and were still semi-warm, so I put them in a box and am using a heatlamp at about the hight I would use for new chicks to keep them warm. Is there any chance they will survive? What should I do, as they should be 3-5 days from hatching?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Do you have a thermometer to see how warm they are? You need to have some way of uping the humidity on day 18 and you need to be sure the temp is acceptable. You might try putting a heating pad in the bottom of a cooler and then some towels over that. Set the eggs on top of it. Then on day 18 add a couple of damp sponges? I am not sure. Good luck [​IMG]

3. abbachick

abbachick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Wilson, North Carolina
    Thanks. My thermometer broke and I'm just doing the best I can until I can get to a store. I like the heating pad idea, it may be more even and less intense than the lamp.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I just thought you don't want to dry them out. The heat from the lamp might cause excellerated evaporation and increase the air cell size too a overly large proportion. [​IMG] I have never been in your situation but hope mabe these ideas will help. Just guessing at what I'd do if I were in your shoes [​IMG] [​IMG] good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by