broken egg shell in fresh egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfan, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Frequently when I gather eggs (which I do daily) I will find one with the shell slightly cracked on one end. I have to guess that it had been pecked by one of the chickens...I have no idea why that would happen.
    I have regular size chickens, producing brown eggs, and bantys, producing small white eggs. It is always one of the brown eggs that is cracked.
    The membrane inside is always intact. So my question is whether or not it is safe to eat that egg? I would appreciate any info about this. I would think it was safe since it was a fresh egg, but I don't want to eat one if it might be dangerous.
    Thank you!
    Lou Nell in Texas

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I get one of those every now and then, its always the same RIR.She lays then is real bad at rolling it underneath her.But I have eaten every last one and there hasnt been a problem,as long as the membrane is compromised I have at it. Then one thing I do is move it up to first in line in the consumption line.

3. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thanks for your reply! I feel better now....I have eaten a few, and thrown many away. I am not sure which of the chickens laid the egg, but I can narrow it down to maybe 3 or 4 of them. I bring the egg in, and if I'm saving it, it goes on the top of the batch, just as yours do. And straight to the refrig.
    I feel like the one laying the egg is the one doing the pecking. But it is always just a small place, and never into the membrane So I have to wonder why she would do that. I have a broody little banty out there now, who can't get a clue that she is wasting her time. She never lays, and I try to make sure she has had food and water. She will sit on nothing, or anything. Today she was on that egg. She might be the one pecking it, I guess.
    Thanks again!
    Lou Nell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by