Broken egg shipping question--will others be OK????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I received a nice bunch of eggs today to incubate in my new hovabator. I was sent 24 (verry generous!!) ----4 of these had some rough treatment and were broken with a bit of "leakage". [​IMG] Will the eggs that were touched by the "leakage" be containimated?

This is what I did--please tell me if I'm doing it wrong! I filled a bowl with slightly warm water and then washed off the ones that had "leakage" on them. I used a paper towel to gently wipe the residue off.
    There wasn't alot--just enough to notice. I marked each egg that had to be washed with a penciled X so I would know the ones that had been "slimed". Am I wasting my time trying to incubate them and do I run the risk of messing up the others??

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm new to this and really want to have at least a chance at success!! [​IMG]

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

The eggs should be fine, you are not wasting your time at all.

The only thing you may have done wrong was putting the eggs in water, when you do this is takes off a natural coating,

but this isn't that serious, I've washed eggs with soap and they have hatched.

Good Luck On Your Hatch! [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    So long as you didn't dunk the eggs in water or use too much wiping them off they should be fine. I'd worry more about scrambled yolks since the package was treated so rough. Did you try to candle the rest of the eggs and see what shape they were in? I'd definitely keep an eye on them and candle frequently to catch any that might go bad.

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    They should not be affected by the washing or the bit of yolk, as long as it was all washed off. Washing eggs is one of those topics that people are extremely polarized on. Some will say they wash all their eggs while others will insist it removes the "bloom" and will ruin the hatch. The truth is somewhere in between. The most important thing to remember about washing eggs is that the temperature of the water needs to be warmer than the egg to prevent any bacteria from being pulled into the egg.

Richard

5. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I did use warmer water than the egg. I thought I had read that somewhere and I didn't want to draw in the bad stuff!

When you talk about the eggs being "scrambled" do you mean that literally? The ones that were cracked I went ahead and plopped into a pan to cook for my girls and they were not "scrambled" but still in good shape--yolk wise. [​IMG]

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed the rest are OK!

Thanks guys! Much excitement around my house these days with the "bator project!"

6. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Yep ! Scrambled, I received a batch yesterday and had only one broken out of 16, but it had broken early in the trip and leaked and rotted over all the other eggs and was stinking up the post office when I picked up, I candled and found 3 more that where scrambled. Got my feathers crossed for this hatch...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by