Broken Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by halleyd591, Mar 3, 2017.

1. halleyd591

halleyd591 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    Polish Hen is around 32 weeks old. On Saturday (6 days ago) she laid an egg that appeared to have a "membrane" stuck to part of the egg which was normal..the shell was a little thin. Didn't think anything of it as she's still young and figuring things out. This morning found an egg with the same substance and a little yellow (yolk I would assume) stuck to the shell. Again, normal egg just thin shell. I looked inside the coop just to check for more eggs and found what appeared to be part of a broken egg/eggshell. It was very thin and soft and the bedding was wet around it. She has acted fine as far as I can tell, eating, drinking and hanging out with the others. I have read that death is almost imminent in broken egg cases but she doesn't appear to be sick! Could she have possibly passed the broken egg and be ok? What do I need to do? PLEASE HELP!!

2. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are pictures of my findings!

3. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2015
    The egg might has just broke when she laid it because she lacks calcium which weakens the strength of her egg's shells, do you offer crushed egg shells or oyster shells? If not, do that because it gives them a calcium supplement which they need.

4. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    I started offering oyster shell about 2 weeks ago. If she's acting ok at this point, will she likely be ok? I have read that the whites and yolk can cause infection?

5. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    If she is no longer laying soft shelled eggs and you keep her supplied with a calcium supplement she should be fine. As for the egg white and yolks causing infection, do you mean if they eat the yolk/white because if so, I have never heard of this and mine have eaten broken eggs before and they are fine.

6. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    I meant to say the white and yolk that is still inside of her from where it broke. I read to flush with vinegar and warm water to flush out anything left but am afraid it will only push it deeper inside.

7. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Since she hasn't showed any signs of poor health, lethergic, not eating/drinking etc. she may not have laid the egg broken but it might have broke after she laid it? I would like to see if anyone else has any opinions but I wouldn't worry about her if she seems in good health and has been for almost a week, just keep an eye on her.

8. halleyd591

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    It is very bazaar. Everything I have read says if it was a broken egg it usually will kill them. If it broke after she laid it what would explain the abnormality of the shell? almost like part of an extra shell?

9. FeatherMtnFarms

Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chances are she laid a thin or softshelled that was easily broken.
    The second pic, is that 'mark' on it hard or soft...could you scrape it off with a fingernail??
    How long has she been laying?
    It can take up to a month or so for the old egg machine to get tuned up.
    I'd just take a look at her vent for reference and keep an eye on her.
    Don't immediately jump to the conclusion that she has a broken egg inside of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by