Broken Eggs in Nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kudzu vine, Jul 29, 2010.

1. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    My hens won't eat oyster shells. Some eggs are soooo thin that when another hen tries to lay in box, just sitting breaks the eggs. Any suggestions on how to get harder shells?

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Since they will not eat the oyster shell, are you using Layer type feed with added calcium?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Have you tried feeding their own shells back to them (rushed)? Mine think it's the best treat ever-- and it's free.

4. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    I hard boil a few eggs then mix it shell and all together by hand or sometimes in a blender just make sure that the shell is crushed up good or else they might turn into egg eaters.

5. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    Thanks for the replys. Their layer pellets have calcium. I will try crushing their own shells and feeding them back to the girls instead of tossing in composite. Thanks again

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Cuttlefish bone grated on to the feed will help, also yoghourt if they like it.

Make sure your girls also get plenty of vitamin D which is necessary to absorb calcium.

And yes, roasted and crushed egg shells do seem to very popular with my girls as well,

Sandie

7. Brown Farmer

Brown Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    I would not roast the egg shells. The calcium deposition process is started by a specisl proteen which the bird recycles. However, there could be traces in the shell which would be beneficial. Also regarding vitamin D. Sunshine activates it, so, let the sunshine in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by