Broken Eggs in Shipping--Can I wash the others?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kristy in WA, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    I just received my eggs and some are broken and there is goo all over them. Can I rinse off the other ones? What do I do? Kristy

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I don't think you have a choice. If you leave the goop on the good eggs they are going to most likely be contaminated and not hatch anyway. I would wash them gently with warm water and then pat dry with paper towel.
    Good Luck!

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I've had to wash off some because of breakage in shipping. Sometimes they do go ahead and hatch and other times they were just handled too roughly and still don't hatch. I've gotten lots better at checking for broken air cells though since I first started. Those with the broken air cells still are very unlikely to hatch even if you do clean them.

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Hold the egg under warm running water and gently rub with your hand. then wipe dry. Make sure all the egg residue is off or it will block the poors. Make sure you do not jostle the eggs while washing or drying, sounds like they have had a rough trip. If the eggs are viable, hatchability should not be affected too much. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by