Broken eggs under my broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nostalchic, May 12, 2010.

1. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Several (3 out of 10) Maran eggs that I have under my 2 broody Cochins got broken on day 2 somehow - who knows? I think they squabbled over them - though the rest have remained intact so far - now on day 4. I cleaned up the nest as best I could, and gently wiped the egg off the shells of the intact eggs, but wonder if anyone has experience with this - whether this will create problems with hatch or survival. I'm reluctant to wash the eggs, and my thinking is that in a "natural" environment, there would be occasional breakage that would hopefully not cause the loss of the whole clutch for any bird. Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have had my best luck with broodies, when I put one hen on one nest, seperated from the rest of the flock. I wouldn't wash the remaining eggs, but I would seperate the hens.

Heck, since you only have 7 eggs left, I would recommend one Mama on them.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, Chickenmaven - I know I SHOULD probably separate my main broody but I was (lazily) thinking I'd let her do all the work, including introducing new chicks to flock, etc, without having to set up new quarters for her, etc. I was thinking I could make a different nesting area within the coop, like in a covered cat litter box or something - maybe I'll do that as my next step, and if I have to, separate her completely. Thanks for responding. Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by