Broken eggs under my broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nostalchic, May 12, 2010.

1. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Songster

Several (3 out of 10) Maran eggs that I have under my 2 broody Cochins got broken on day 2 somehow - who knows? I think they squabbled over them - though the rest have remained intact so far - now on day 4. I cleaned up the nest as best I could, and gently wiped the egg off the shells of the intact eggs, but wonder if anyone has experience with this - whether this will create problems with hatch or survival. I'm reluctant to wash the eggs, and my thinking is that in a "natural" environment, there would be occasional breakage that would hopefully not cause the loss of the whole clutch for any bird. Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have had my best luck with broodies, when I put one hen on one nest, seperated from the rest of the flock. I wouldn't wash the remaining eggs, but I would seperate the hens.

Heck, since you only have 7 eggs left, I would recommend one Mama on them.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Songster

Thanks, Chickenmaven - I know I SHOULD probably separate my main broody but I was (lazily) thinking I'd let her do all the work, including introducing new chicks to flock, etc, without having to set up new quarters for her, etc. I was thinking I could make a different nesting area within the coop, like in a covered cat litter box or something - maybe I'll do that as my next step, and if I have to, separate her completely. Thanks for responding. Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by