1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broken eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grannyh6, Sep 20, 2015.

1. grannyh6

grannyh6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    I went to collect my eggs and 2 were broken in the nest. Could a hen have done it. How do I get them to stop

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens repeatedly, hens do accidentally break eggs by stepping on them, there's only a problem if there is intentional breaking and eating of the eggs. Keeping fake eggs in the nest can help deter this, also make sure you hens are getting a good quality food and have oyster shells available.

3. grannyh6

Sep 18, 2015
    I am feeding organic feed and give them oster shell all the time

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hopefully it was a one time thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. grannyh6

Sep 18, 2015
    Good news I haven't had any more broken eggs but a lot of my hens aren't laying is it because I bought other hens and introduce them to him

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    New birds can cause stress which can halt laying, and if your hens are over a year they will quit to molt. Otherwise laying does go up and down due to things like stress, weather, and some just aren't regular layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by