1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaydencedad, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Kaydencedad

Kaydencedad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2015
    California
    Can someone tell me why one of my chickens keeps laying a broken egg, the shell is very thin and they either come out broken or she breaks it after she lays, they also have as much oyster shells as they want?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    The main reason a hen will lay broken eggs with thin shells is because she is lacking calcium in her diet. Give her either oyster shells or crushed, rinsed eggshells. Also, how old are they? Pullets new to laying will often lay "odd" eggs. Make sure they have plenty of water and layer feed.

Here's an article explaining further about calcium.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-key-to-happy-hens-and-healthy-eggs

3. Kaydencedad

Jul 30, 2015
    California
    I give them oyster shells it is all over the ground, I think she might be 4 years old!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There are some glaring inaccuracies in that 'article'.....here are 2 I found, couldn't read further:
    Egg shells are not a substitution for oyster shells, but can be a supplement to the oyster shells, the egg shells move thru the body too quickly to be absorbed.
    Feeding egg shells unwashed or uncrushed will not create an egg eater.

Best to have the oyster shells in a container always available.
    ....but.....
    Your hen is kind of old at 4 years and she may be at the end of her best laying years.
    What is her breed?
    Has this just started to happen? If so, she may be going into / getting ready to molt, you can get some funky eggs as they go into molt and as they come out of it.

5. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Sorry you found it that way. That's what I've learned, read and experienced so that is what I wrote.

6. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Depending on breed, hens normally start declining on laying eggs around 3-5 years. As they decline, their eggs often become misshapen.

7. Kaydencedad

Jul 30, 2015
    California
    Thanks everybody, yes she just started doing it after I moved the five of them, she is the only one that ever started laying again, she is a RIR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by