Jordan01

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
Newfoundland
I recently got chickens and the past two days found a broken egg in the egg box. The broken eggs are the only ones they've laid. How do I know it they're egg eating or if its thin shells? Would more bedding help?? What's causing these broken eggs??

Chickens don't know what they are doing when they first lay eggs. Sometimes they lay them in weird places, sometimes they just let them drop somewhere hard. They don't necessarily build a nice little nest and lay down low to the ground and gently deposit their egg. Clean out the nest box so there's no broken egg left, add extra bedding, more than you'd think (they will kick it around) and try another day. They will get the hang of it.

I agree with PirateGirl, hens stand to lay the egg and it falls further than you may think. Lots of bedding is required to keep it from breaking, and to keep it clean. You should have straw, hay or wood chips at least 3 inches thick in each box. I prefer straw and so do my girls! Welcome to BYC! :cool:

What do you currently have in the nest box? A quick cheap option is to fold up a used feed bag and line the nest with that, it gives a little cushion. You can put wood shavings or straw over that.

Are you supplementing calcium in their diets? Having a dish of oyster shell available is one easy way to make sure they're getting enough calcium.

I have witnessed the struggle over the favorite nest box too... a hen may lay an egg while perched high on the back of another squirming hen and it will drop 6 inches or more as well as get stepped on. Crazy birds.

Welcome to BYC!

I recently got chickens and the past two days found a broken egg in the egg box. The broken eggs are the only ones they've laid. How do I know it they're egg eating or if its thin shells? Would more bedding help?? What's causing these broken eggs??
Was there enough shell left there to determine if it was thin or not?
Do you know how old they are?

Looks like you've only had them a few days, so they are still adjusting to a new place and diet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/molt.1256332/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-1_9-20-23.png

I'm in Newfoundland, pretty cold climate. Now I'm worried they're egg eating as this morning the egg box was wet and there was only some shell away from it in the coop. Any advice? I now have about 2 inches of wood shavings in the egg boxes.

I'm in Newfoundland, pretty cold climate. Now I'm worried they're egg eating as this morning the egg box was wet and there was only some shell away from it in the coop. Any advice? I now have about 2 inches of wood shavings in the egg boxes.
Any predators in your area like eggs? I used to be real quick blaming hens until I saw a ground squirrel eating one.

The birds were just given to me as my dad was friends with the man that had them. I think the shell was thin I'm not sure, sorry. I'm testing them now to see if one will eat and egg I put in the coop, one pecked at it a bit but didn't break it, could she be the culprit?

Back
Top Bottom