Broken Feathers, Mites? Pictures.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valerie in CB, Apr 10, 2016.

1. valerie in CB

valerie in CB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I feel badly that I have waited this long to figure out what is going on with my hen :( I have looked around trying to find information on and off, about what might be wrong with here. About 3 years ago one I noticed that a few of the feathers starting breaking off on the spot on her back were a rooster would scratch but we don't have roosters. I never have found any pictures showing anything like this so I thought maybe a genetic disorder. She never seems sick, she is a good weight, active, happy, content bird and lays eggs. We have had her for 5 years. So today I notice that one of our newer young hens we got in the fall at 1 year old and who had been with roosters is now starting to showing the same condition maybe? The black hen, it is getting really bad quickly and I am getting very worried.

This is Madge, the black hen, in on March 1.

[​IMG]

And today. I am I seeing some new little feathers? Do you see those?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] see that new black feather?? I see a few of these!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    One or more of the birds in your flock have developed the bad habit of feather plucking/eating. It is probably the bird that is in best feather condition.

3. valerie in CB

Aug 27, 2012
    then it has to be one of 2 hens, and this one of them. That was easy to figure out. We had 6 hens last spring. Over the summer we lost all but 2, this black hen a red hen. Is it common for a hen to peck at just on bird for a long time then start on another? None of the other hens had this happen to them. Would it be at night? I have watched them over the years and I can see them a lot of the day but haven't ever seen her pecking another.

Thanks.

4. valerie in CB

Aug 27, 2012
    just ordered some pinless peepers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by