Broken feathers on sholders

wrighthollya

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2019
I have had both (2) of my hens for a little over a year (from babies). I have one rooster with them. I have not had any issues until lately with broken feathers on both shoulders on both hens in the same place. I thought maybe it was the Roos spurs doing it but they are less than a 1/2 inch long. (will file them tonight to see if that will help) and other ideas of why this is happening and how to help fix it?

Attachments

• 2019070995210501.jpg
    2019070995210501.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 5
It's from mating. It depends on the size of the hen, how cooperative she is, and the rooster's particular mating style where the wear and tear occurs. Most of it is from toe nails clutching the hen, rubbing off the feathers in the process.

The other reason you are seeing so much damage is because the two hens are being over mated. A rooster should have at least ten hens over which to spread his attentions. I suggest you severely limit the hens' exposure to the roo.

It's from mating. It depends on the size of the hen, how cooperative she is, and the rooster's particular mating style where the wear and tear occurs. Most of it is from toe nails clutching the hen, rubbing off the feathers in the process.

The other reason you are seeing so much damage is because the two hens are being over mated. A rooster should have at least ten hens over which to spread his attentions. I suggest you severely limit the hens' exposure to the roo.

Thank you! I love having him around and I just spent lots of time and money on getting his leg mites cleared up. But I don't want him beating up on my girls. We may have to just get ride of him and have an all girls flock. I will have 3 more girls to add to the flock once they are big enough. another 3 months for that though.

That still won't be enough hens to spread the "joy" adequately.

No need to get rid of the fellow. Just figure out how to give the hens a breather from him. I have two roos for nineteen hens. Even still, the two boys spend most of the day "patrolling" the outside of the run. When I allow the girls out to free range, the boys get some nooky and they prove themselves useful in watching over them for predators.

You can also rig up a little "jail" in your run. I have this too. The roos often get segregated in it so they can girl watch but still spare the girls constant mating.

Back
Top Bottom