Broken feathers

mountainmama22

Hatching
Dec 23, 2016
Hi I'm new to the chicken world. I have a flock of five chickens who exclusively free range. They refuse to sleep in their coop and roost in a big tree in front of our house. We have three acres and a big field next to us so they have plenty of space to forage. I noticed yesterday that one of my hens has what looks like broken feathers on the back of her neck. I haven't been able to pick her up to inspect super close, but the stems of the feathers are still there. I don't think it's mites or lice because she is the only one who has this problem. And I don't think we have a rooster but at the same time I do have an Americana that I have never seen an egg from. They are supposed to be green or blue right? I only get brown eggs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes she has been acting totally normal. Is it a weird time for her to molt? We are in Utah with temps in the 20s at night. Also I forgot to add she is around nine months old.

Those look like growing feather shafts to me. She's probably molting; it can happen at any time of year, especially in younger birds.

Back
Top Bottom