1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mountainmama22, Dec 23, 2016.

1. mountainmama22

mountainmama22 New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    Hi I'm new to the chicken world. I have a flock of five chickens who exclusively free range. They refuse to sleep in their coop and roost in a big tree in front of our house. We have three acres and a big field next to us so they have plenty of space to forage. I noticed yesterday that one of my hens has what looks like broken feathers on the back of her neck. I haven't been able to pick her up to inspect super close, but the stems of the feathers are still there. I don't think it's mites or lice because she is the only one who has this problem. And I don't think we have a rooster but at the same time I do have an Americana that I have never seen an egg from. They are supposed to be green or blue right? I only get brown eggs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!!![​IMG].It appears she is beginning to molt.Is she acting normal?

3. mountainmama22

mountainmama22 New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    Yes she has been acting totally normal. Is it a weird time for her to molt? We are in Utah with temps in the 20s at night. Also I forgot to add she is around nine months old.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    As far as the eggs, "Americana" means Easter Egger and they can lay any color. Ameraucanas, a less common and more expensive breed lays blue.

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Pretty uncommon but it could happen.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Those look like growing feather shafts to me. She's probably molting; it can happen at any time of year, especially in younger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by