Broken feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DigitalEd, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Hey all,
    I've got a five week old chick that can't stand/sit on it's own. Over the last few days of observation and manually feeding it, I'm guessing it has multiple toes are broken - perhaps on both feet. It's a guess. I'm pretty sure that this was one of my chicks that had really poopy feet. I had a couple that just seemed to like to wear poop boots. In the process of soaking the feet and getting the poop off, I wonder if I did some damage. It was several days between her last feet cleaning and finding her flopped over so I'm not entirely sure the cause.

She tries to sit like a normal chick but always falls over.

[​IMG]

Some close up shots of the feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could try to splint both feet but I'm not sure how she'd be able to stand/sit even with that.
    I checked both legs and nether seems broken. I put up on her left foot and she peeps out so it could be just the left foot/side.

Do those feet look ok? If not, what angle or stance would be better?

----- Ed

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    They look fine to me. So she/he could stand earlier in its life??

3. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Yeah. She been fine except for the past 5 days or so. I hold her upright and she eats from the feeder and drinks. She can't/won't stand and flops over when you put her down.

4. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    It could be a disease like marek's disease or newcastle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by