1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

broken foot? how to treat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waltersbf, Dec 19, 2010.

1. waltersbf

waltersbf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    I have a hamburg hen with what appears to be a broken foot probably caused by one of the older turkey which as their punishment/solution are now in freezer heaven. Anyway she just curls it up in a ball and won't uncurl it. the other leg is fine. I have her inside and make sure she is in reach of food and water. first few days in I gave her baby aspirin as the foot seemed to have heat in it. no open wounds at all. any suggestions or will just time and lots of it cure the problem...will she uncurl as it heals and she can stand and use it again? I tried splinting it open with tongue depressors and all, but one fling of the foot and off it came![​IMG]
    email me at netflixqueen@yahoo.com if you have any suggestions! I am clueless

2. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    I feel bad when nobody replies, so I'm replying even though I don't have a clue. [​IMG] I would say, however, that there is most likely nothing you can do but let it heal. I've got a turkey heading for the freezer as well because he has quite suddenly decided to pick on the chickens. Hope she gets better.

3. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    I have no idea, but I'll give you a bump

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    chickens have remarkable adaptation abilities. even if her foot is permenantly curled, i know from firsthand experience that she'll learn to use it just the same. also, you might try posting a picture of the foot; it can be immensly helpful to SEE the injury as well as hear about it.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read about splinting them with duct tape and lightweight cardboard. Would she pull that off too?

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Pet Edge Top Performance Bandage Tape - 4"

This tape works wonders. Its wont cling to the legs,but it does cling to the tape itself.

You need to start at the leg,wrap down to the foot,wrap all the toes together but make sure they are not touching each other,then wrap back up to the leg where you started.

This will make the bird walk normally on its toes.After about a week or so,take it off.

It has worked for me in these ways:

chick had toes that were curled under and skin atached to two toes,I cut the skin,then wrapped foot for two weeks. It corrected curled toes.

rooster had bumble foot( from previous owner), cured bumblefoot and curved toes because of disease in 3 weeks.

Let us know if this works

7. Jabbok

Jabbok Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    I am glad to find this post. One of my younger chicks is a mess right now. I don't even really know what happened, but it appears her middle toe on her foot (I can't remember at the moment which foot) is broken. Do I try to straighten it or just let it heal on it's own?

Yeah, besides the broken toe, she has blood on her beak and blood was spattered all over their cage (I have 8 chicks in a cage to keep them separated from my larger hens). It's quite a circus in my coop (every week there is something) - sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out for chicken farming! I've had 2 bigger hens lose toenails - one I have no idea how she mangled her toenail, the other got hers stuck in our entry door (we didn't know she was on it until we closed the door), but they seem to be ok now. We had too many roosters, but got that problem fixed last week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by