Broken Foot-Leg Not Sure PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewHobbyForMe, Jan 22, 2010.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    I have a 5 month old Austrolorp Rooster that started limping about a week ago. Then he started to sit on his hocks more and more and the other chickens started pecking him. I tried gauze and vet wrap on his leg down to his foot, but the next day his foot was swollen so bad I took it off. Now the foot is curling under and he's not wanting to walk much at all. His food, drink, and poop are all fine. I have separated him. He does seem to whimper. I did give him an asprin in water but not sure if that helped or not. Any help for my boy??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I would be more worried about the viral disease Mareks than an injury, though an injury to the femur or pelvis is possible. If he is was lame on one side, and it progressed to the other- Marek's (or another viral), or a nutritional deficiency would be my best guess. General weakness (excessive parasites, or toxin) can also make them down on their hocks- but I would not expect him to be eating and drinking (and pooping well) What do they eat? Where did you get them/him & how long have you had him?

3. NewHobbyForMe

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi, I've had him since he was a day old. The other flock I bought with him are all fine. Just wanted to know if wrapping it could have caused it to be worse? I have wondered about their extreme growth and if it is just too much too fast. Right now I have all my chickens on Layer feed, scratch, boss, acv in water and poly visol vitamins for several months. Not sure what to do but wait it out. [​IMG]

PS If I stand him up he will stand for a while. But, I do have to keep his food and water close by when he lays down.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can we get some close up pictures of the foot? Top/bottom? Cna his toes be placed in the correct position? Is there still swelling? Is it just the foot or is the leg also part of the problem?

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Certainly if you wrapped it too tight, you could have made a problem worse by cutting off circulation. Swelling implies this. 4-5 months old is the prime time for Marek's to show up. If this is the case, the diagnosis is on necropsy (send bird to the state lab). If it is Marek's- he may be the first case, or the only case. If he is on a good brand commercial food- nutritional deficiency would not be likely. If he has Marek's he will likely worsen and die (I am sorry). If he has slipped tendons- he is not likely to recover. If he got stepped on and has a broken pelvis- he may get better with time. Have you checked him for a heavy lice problem (anemia), also check your coop at night for red roost mite (also can cause anemia).

6. NewHobbyForMe

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    I did just read up on Marek's per BYC. Does not sound good. I am really concerned now that's what it could be. When I stand him up straight I have felt his legs starting at the very top and I can feel both tendits and he seems ok with touching his legs all the way down. If something were sprained or broken I would think it would hurt him. But, it does say it is a virus so I'm wondering why his one foot wants to turn under him. I confused but I will watch him very close if I don't see him getting better I will have to cull. Thank you for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by