Broken foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KelloggKid, May 9, 2011.

1. KelloggKid

KelloggKid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Lancaster County, PA
    Our 5 week old Light Brahma chick's foot was accidentally stepped on by son last evening. She has been limping around ever since. I couldn't see much in the way of damage immediately however it looks swollen & maybe even a bit black & blue this morning. It appears to be the joint right where the toes all come together.

Anyone ever experience this before? Will it heal with time?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have. I took my bird to the vet because it became so swollen, hot to the touch, and I feared it was broken as well...did x-rays and found out it was just sprained. It took about a solid month before the poor thing could walk on it, but it has healed up now. I seriously thought it was broke or dislocated somehow, but sprains take a long time to heal. Hopefully this is all that is wrong with your bird.

Edited to add that I doubt I will ever take a bird to the vet again...way too expensive.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. KelloggKid

KelloggKid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Lancaster County, PA
    Thanks for the feedback chicks4kids! I sort of suspected this would be the type of thing that a vet will take all the necessary x-rays then send you home with the instructions to just give it time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by