Broken heart trying to find a home for my baby

Vjc55

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2022
Please read everything i have to say before you bash me.
I've lived in a trailer park for going on 3 years, how i got there is a long story, but that's where my wife and i ended, after buying a brand new trailer, we settled in, well this park is in the San Jacinto bird sanctuary, so ducks, geese, owls, hawks and coots are abundant, i had injured myself a decade prior, in a motorcycle accident, so i didn't walk so well, well i started caring for the park birds, feeding them, taking fishing line off them saving legs from being amputated, mending broken legs and wings, removing fishing hooks from mouths and body and helping sick birds in anyway i can. I started to notice birds showing up on the lakes that I'd not seen before, i would know because everyday i went through the whole park picking up trash, fishing line and removing any dangers that could hurt my babies, yes they were mine, i had names for over 75% of the birds in the park, well back to these ducks and geese that just showed up, i called them drop ducks or drop geese, since it was obvious they were just dropped by their owners left to fend for themselves, well all this work got me walking again, but one day while at the local Tractor Supply, i got bit by the baby ducks, i fell in love and before i knew it, i had two babies and a stack full of everything i thought I'd need to raise them, for 2 months they lived inside my 23 foot trailer, taking up all my living space, keeping me awake 24/7 any little sound had me up and by their side, those 2 months were crazy, they had been deprived of their niacin requirements, so both weren't walking so well, i did everything i could, i was either crying or a total mess fearing I'd lose my babies, well finally they were healthy and the day approached that they would need to go outside, well they didn't get farther than my front steps and i kept my door open so all i needed to do was lift my head off the pillow to see them and every little sound had me up, i loved those ducks, oh, took awhile to figure out if they were male or female, well i thought i had a Drake and a hen, my wife named them Rocket and Gracie but after finding out later that Rocket was really a girl her name was changed to Rockette, she by the way was the baby that cought my eye, she had a tiny piece of poo on her head, so she stood out amongst all the other babies, plus she whooped me, a whoop is what i call it when they cock their head to look at you with one eye, anyways these ducks gave me new life, i was up at 5am feeding them, making sure they were as spoiled as could be, i loved, no i love these ducks, but recently i lost my Gracie, she had gotten out of the yard and went to the lake and on the way home, so jerk ran her over, my heart broke and i don't think it will ever mend, I'm crying as i write this, it was on Christmas Eve, so forever more that date will break me, but now I'm faced with even a greater hardship, I've got to move and where I'm going, they won't allow my Rockette to come with us, I'm not leaving her at the park and I'm not dropping her at any local pond, i need to find a home for her, she's two years old, loves peas and worms, I'm dying inside here, i tried to find a place that would have room for her, but my wife and i can't afford land and a home, I'm in escrow right now on a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath home, but city laws prohibit keeping ducks, so hear my heart, I've been caring for ducks and geese spending over $300 a month to care for them and cringing at the thought that people just abandon their ducks and geese, just because they've become a burden, well my duckies are not a burden, i love them, I've raised over 50 babies in the past year alone, every duck and goose comes to my space every morning and they live under my trailer and their babies are all over the place and my yard is a foot deep in duck poop, but that doesn't stop me from taking care of them, but I'm now in need of help, I'm praying i can find a local bird lover to take in my Rockette and her boyfriend Poppa, Poppa and his girl Momma were the first drop ducks that won my heart, but Momma was run over in the same place my Gracie was, so we took Poppa in because Gracie wouldn't have it any other way, now Gracie is gone, but Poppa remains because i couldn't leave Rockette without a buddy, so these two beautiful Pekins need a home, I'm willing to help, I'll bring food, I'll help do whatever, as long as she's close by, i need you all to understand, i love my Rockette more than ever, I've been broken and crying for the past two weeks, i can't sleep, just knowing that she has go, so I'm going to ask you all to help me find a loving home for this amazing duck, she is a sweetheart with blue eyes, she'll make your heart jump, she's had mine jumping ever since she first whooped me. Please don't judge, that doesn't help find her a home, i would take her if i only could, i can't leave her at the lake I'm living at now, because i fear she'll get injured, sick or killed. So if you know of a sanctuary, rescue center or a heart that has room for 2 more cuties, please let me know, i live in Riverside CA in the Hemet area

try posting on the “raising ducks” group (or if you can find a local poultry group that would work too) on facebook, someone there may be able to take them in (just specify they need to go to a pet only home)

please do not feel bad about having to rehome them, sounds like you love them and have given them the best life. i am so sorry you have to rehome them, my ducks are my babies and i couldn’t imagine going through that ❤️

So sad for you and your predicament. Advertise in the California group in this forum; I don;t know whether you are northern or southern California

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/california-northern.25/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/california-southern.161/

Try Facebook marketplace local to you, and Craig's list. Do emphasize that these ducks are pets and you need them to go to a pets only home.

Try this one, too:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

Thank you for all your help and for understanding what this is doing to me, it's funny, everybody has been asking me why I'm not happy to have a new home, all i can tell them is, that I'm dying in inside, it's bad enough i wake up having nightmares about Gracie my baby i lost on Christmas Eve, but now I'm losing my other baby, this has me crushed and broken, these ducks have been my life for a long time, I've spent hours and hours caring for them and thousands of dollars on them, not that means anything, they deserved everything i gave them, because they gave me hope everyday i ventured out, so I'm praying someone will give them the home they deserve. Thanks again for all the help and for the comfort

Thank you for all your help and for understanding what this is doing to me, it's funny, everybody has been asking me why I'm not happy to have a new home, all i can tell them is, that I'm dying in inside, it's bad enough i wake up having nightmares about Gracie my baby i lost on Christmas Eve, but now I'm losing my other baby, this has me crushed and broken, these ducks have been my life for a long time, I've spent hours and hours caring for them and thousands of dollars on them, not that means anything, they deserved everything i gave them, because they gave me hope everyday i ventured out, so I'm praying someone will give them the home they deserve. Thanks again for all the help and for the comfort
I’m so sorry you lost Gracie. Believe me, many of us here on BYC understand how you feel. I truly hope you can find a good home for Rockette and Poppa.❤️

Maybe I shouldn't suggest this, but the reason those laws are made is because neighbor's usually don't like it. Maybe if you talked to your neighbor's and asked if they cared they wouldn't mind? I think a lot of people don't mind, but theres always that ones who do. Does Rockette lay? Bringing a dozen eggs every now and then might help. If no one complains, the city wont care.
I'm so so sorry your going through this. It can only imagine its been so hard. Ducks and chickens can be support animals. I know people who have roosters that do that for them. It sounds like your ducks did that for you, and in return you gave them the best life you possibly could. Momma and Poppa were dumped at a lake, you took them in and saved them. Saved their lives. They would have gotten killed by a predator or something else had you not taken them in. I'm so sorry for your losses. Just know that you made that difference in Momma, and Gracie's lives. You made that difference for Momma who didn't have a decent owner that could give them any sort of care. You made that difference.
I hope you can find them a home, or a different solution. My heart goes out to you, you sound like a very responsible, caring, and loving duck owner.
Good luck in figuring the best option out for your babies, I hope things get better for you as well. Sending hugs. :hugs

Ducks and chickens can be support animals.
@Vjc55 , from everything you wrote, your ducks absolutely qualify as legitimate emotional support animals.

https://usserviceanimals.org/blog/emotional-support-animal-laws-in-california/

Please read the above link and follow up on what is required to have Rockett and Poppa certified as your Emotional Support Animals.(ESAs)

Once they are certified as ESAs, you are legally entitled to have them live in your home, even if housing otherwise doesnt allow animals. The main thing is you will need to have a doctor certify that your ducks provide you emotional support. If you tell your doctor even half of what you wrote here, you should have no problem getting a doctor to certify.

Have faith you can get this done and take your ducks with you to your new home. You can do it.

Once they are certified as ESAs, you are legally entitled to have them live in your home, even if housing otherwise doesnt allow animals. The main thing is you will need to have a doctor certify that your ducks provide you emotional support. If you tell your doctor even half of what you wrote here, you should have no problem getting a doctor to certify.
I have heard that some cities care if they ESA, some don't. A doctors note is definitely required.
This is a really great post! This and talking to your neighbors might be a good option for you. I really hope you're able to to work it out.
Good luck and keep us posted! :fl:hugs

I have heard that some cities care if they ESA, some don't. A doctors note is definitely required.
This is a really great post! This and talking to your neighbors might be a good option for you. I really hope you're able to to work it out.
Good luck and keep us posted! :fl:hugs
By California state law And Federal law, certified ESAs cannot be banned from living in the home with the person they provide support to. ESAs don't have the same legal protections in Public venues as certified service animals, but they do have full legal protection as far as living in a person's home, even if the home is a rental property that otherwise does not allow animals.

By California state law And Federal law, certified ESAs cannot be banned from living in the home with the person they provide support to. ESAs don't have the same legal protections in Public venues as certified service animals, but they do have full legal protection as far as living in a person's home, even if the home is a rental property that otherwise does not allow animals.
That is really cool! I'm not sure what thread I was in last, but someone posted that it depends on the state/city wether or not they will protect ESA's. Its really cool to hear that California supports/protects them. Great info!
Looks like there is lots of hope for your future with Rockette and Poppa.
What great news!

Back
Top Bottom