broken hip on five day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinkyglory123, Jan 25, 2013.

1. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    five day old chick got leg tangled in Silkie Mom's feathers and apparently fractured hip joint. foot and knee/hock work fine but hip very unstable. Any thoughts? If left with mom probably will die as unable to get to food and water. Any one ever try to immobilize by taping area in an approximatly normal position? Thought would have to be removed from rest and kept very confined to be sure it is able to eat and drink. any thoughts?

2. pinkyglory123

Jul 3, 2010
    replying to my own post! Like talking to my Husband when the TV is on [​IMG]Anyway left chick with fractured hip or uppermost femur 24 hours. Thought the stress of being untangled from Mommas feathering after hanging there for who knows how long was enough stress for one day. Leg was pointing backwards, bruised, foot swollen and chick propelling itself along on his belly. definite "crunch" in the hip area.
    Spent the evening worrying about chick-wondering what to do-let nature take it's course and leave with mom, seperate and attempt to splint, euthanize? Researched splinting-lots of info on forums. Finally decided to treat as spraddle leg and went to barn with my cut in half bandaids.
    When I arrived in the morning four chicks were out and about and I feared fifth had been trampled to death. But NO [​IMG]fifth chick was walking on two legs. foot swollen but pointing in the right direction. chick bright. [​IMG]

When I worked for a vet we called this "benign neglect". In horses we call the decision about what to do with injuries "if in doubt, turn them out". I also remember when working for this vet that when a dog dislocated its hip-we manipulated it back and then, shockingly, the area was struck several blows with a rubber hammer. This caused swelling which helped keep the hip in place. I wonder if the swelling in this chicks thigh area is helping stabilize his injury.

Anyway wanted to let others know that sometimes "watching and waiting" IS a decision. I am hoping that the rapid growth of this very young chick will help it heal quickly.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    That is amazing!

I hope the chick keeps recovering...without the rubber hammer treatment of course....[​IMG]

Suzie

4. pinkyglory123

Jul 3, 2010
    Nature is amazing. Still looking great today. eating drinking. bright. I am very hopeful. It is better than anything I could have imagined.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by